Cabernet Sauvignon Nicolas Catena, Bodega Catena Zapata 2015
|Argentina||2015||Cabernet Sauvignon Nicolas Catena, Bodega Catena Zapata||BT||6||6||588.00||12||96 JS|
|Argentina||2015||Cabernet Sauvignon Nicolas Catena, Bodega Catena Zapata ||DM||-||3||200.00||bt||96 JS|
|Argentina||2015||Cabernet Sauvignon Nicolas Catena, Bodega Catena Zapata||IM||-||4||430.00||bt||96 JS|
A giant. Not only in Argentina’s strong suit in terms of power, it also shows finesse and aromatic complexity. There are all manner of blackberries, smoke, chocolate and spicy notes. Built on a panoramic scale, but full of energy and enormous refinement. The finish cascades on and on. A blend of 83% cabernet sauvignon and 17% malbec. Try in 2021.
|Score: 96||James Suckling, JamesSuckling.com, April 2018|
(14.2% alcohol: made from vines in both Uco Valley and Luján de Cuyo): Bright ruby-red. Pungent aromas of cassis, blackberry, herbs and grapefruit are pure and unadorned. Juicy and stylish in a European style, conveying an impression of delicacy and terrific penetration. This is sweeter and suppler than the 2015 Nicasia Vineyard Malbec but I'm not sure that it's deeper. Finishes with a powerful spine, strong supporting acidity and terrific length.
|Score: 94||Stephen Tanzer, vinous.com, July 2018|
Along with the 2014 vintage, I also tasted the 2015 Nicolás Catena Zapata. The 2015 is higher in Cabernet Sauvignon, which represents 83% of the final blend, while Malbec comprises the remaining 17%. It feels quite ripe, with notes of cherries and an earthy touch. It's juicy and soft, very approachable, even though it has the Cabernet's textbook tannins. 72,000 bottles produced.
|Score: 93||Luis Gutierrez, Wine Advocate (237), June 2018|
© 2001-2021 Farr Vintners Ltd.